Get Your Free Flu Shot and Help The County
The Shelby County Health Department (SCHD) is doing an exercise to run through a scary, but very possible, emergency scenario—the threat of any new emerging infectious disease. Not only will Shelby County benefit from the knowledge the department will gain by testing its capabilities to quickly mass vaccinate the public, but people also can benefit by participating and getting a free flu shot. On Saturday, Nov. 16, the SCHD Emergency Preparedness Program will host a FREE Seasonal Flu Vaccination Clinic.
“We annually review and revise our plans to mass vaccinate the public, should it ever be needed, but it must be tested as well,” said Helen Morrow, M.D., health officer for SCHD. “A flu clinic, thankfully, allows us to simultaneously test our plans and offer the public an opportunity to protect themselves and their family from the flu and participate in an exercise to increase our abilities to protect the community.”
Vaccinations will be provided free of charge to all participants, including high-dose in limited quantities for individuals 65 and older. All Medicare, Medicaid and TennCare recipients will need to show their insurance cards.
While the seasonal flu vaccine is recommended for everyone over six months of age, specific populations are at an increased risk for severe complications associated with the flu, including:
- Pregnant women
- Individuals over the age of 50
- Individuals of any age with chronic medial conditions, including asthma and other lung diseases, heart disease, kidney disease and diabetes
- People who live in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities
- People who live with or care for those at high risk for complications from flu, such as health care workers, household contact of persons at high risk for complications from the flu, and household contacts and caregivers of children less than 6 months of age
The flu vaccine is NOT recommended for the following:
- Individuals with a severe allergy to chicken eggs
- Individuals who have previously experienced a severe reaction to a flu vaccine
- Children less than six months of age
To help facilitate the ease and effectiveness of the exercise and clinic, participants are encouraged to email SCHDResponse [at] shelbycountytn [dot] gov to request a packet of forms, which should be completed and brought to the clinic.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
WHEN: Saturday, Nov. 16, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
WHERE: Christ Church Bartlett, 5955 Yale Road (corner of Yale Road and Bartlett Blvd.)